"No European who has tasted Savage Life can afterwards bear to live in our societies." — Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Still eating, straying, and beer

I haven't written much here lately, though I have a couple of articles I'd like to share. I'll write those here sometime soon, I hope.

I've strayed out of the "strict paleo" area - I'm drinking milk (specifically half-and-half in my black tea and chai) and eating corn tortillas. I also drank beer this past weekend. Last week, a plate of nachos I ordered at a restaurant were made from fried flour tortillas, so I ate them; the next day, I had serious diarrhea. And the nachos didn't taste as good as corn does. Live and learn. As my partner said while sharing the food with me: "Eating out, paleo-style, is pretty much impossible." I agree. Maybe we should go ahead and start our own paleo restaurant.

Yes, I had barley-based beer this weekend, but I also tried a gluten-free beer made from sorghum. It was Dragon's Gold from Bard's Tale. It was good, but was very thin and had almost no body. It was malty in flavor, with a reasonable shot of hops for good measure. I'd drink it again, but it's nowhere near my "top 20 beers" list or anything.